So I just thought I would fill you into a long on-going situation we have with Scottish Power. It is a very very long story but the main crux of the matter is, due to an error made by Scottish Power on our (non-existent) account, we haven’t paid for any gas or electric since we moved into our new house almost a year ago! The précised timeline goes something like this:
- June 2014 – moved into our brand spanking new house and told by the developer that our energy provider would be Scottish Power. Meter serial numbers and readings taken by developer and we were told they would be passed onto SP who would in turn get in touch with us.
- August 2014 – we had heard nothing, so I started to make calls to SP without success. Sometimes getting through, other times not. But when I did manage to speak to someone, I was told that our account first HAD been set up and then a couple of weeks later that it hadn’t.
- September 2014 – After a few more calls it seemed that an account had been set up and so I paid £100 onto the account so that we didn’t get a huge bill. When I checked that the payment had been applied, I realised the wrong meters and readings were on our account.
It seemed that the problem was that the wrong meters had been registered to our address and the ones that they thought were at our house, were actually at number 12. They told us that it could take a while to rectify, but they would do it for us asap. I asked for the £100 back, but they said they couldn’t do it as the account was in such query.
- I hadn’t heard anything by October/November, so I complained to the Ombudsman.
- In January 2015 The Ombudsman agreed a set of actions that Scottish Power had to complete to resolve our account issue, including us not being financially disadvantaged by their error.
- June 2015 – Scottish Power have STILL not resolved our issue and they just send us a letter once a month to apologize and to say they will be in touch when they have sorted things out.
A report was issued last year as Scottish Power were failing their customers so badly that the government nearly intervened to stop them selling to new customers. Actually, I have just checked and in March 2015 they were banned from selling to new customers for 12 days as they had failed to resolve customer complaints. This isn’t really news to me, as despite my complaint to the ombudsman, it seems that they a have been unable to resolve a seemingly simple database entry error in nearly 12 months!
The explanation given to me, is that right about the time that we moved, Scottish Power offered voluntary redundancies and lots of experienced staff took it. At the same time, SP implemented a brand new computer system and had problems migrating data. So all this coupled with inexperienced staff meant that apparently, things went totally tits up!
I understand this might have been a nightmare in 2014 whilst they trained people up and got things sorted, but no resolution even now? It’s 6 months since the Ombudsman gave them the actions and I find it unbelievable that they haven’t sorted it out before now.
However, I suppose I have had free gas & electric for a year, which I reckon has cost SP over £1000. OH well, their loss.