So the other day someone mentioned to me that M and I were always going somewhere. I laughed and blithely admitted that we were. But that phrase made me think.
M and I were both brought up in quite nuclear families, both our households consisting of 2 parents (1st and only marriage) and siblings. Often during school holidays our parents used to take us on days out with M’s parents favouring North Wales and the Lake District and my family favouring Blackpool and the seaside generally.
As adults, and as a married couple M and I are always, in fact, going somewhere. Some couples have “date night” but neither of us are night owls, so prefer date days. We aren’t really international jet setters, but we do love a day trip and/or a weekend away. Sometimes we plan where we want to go and sometimes we just go out for breakfast and see where the day takes us. As we don’t have kids or pets (for now) we are quite free to go out wandering as long as we like and so I thought I would put together a top ten of our favourite day tips in the North West of England:
- “The Squirrels” – this is what we call it, but its proper name is Formby Point. This is a beautiful beach in Formby with a small area before the beach where very rare Red Squirrels live.
- Martin Mere – this is something we only recently discovered and it’s a Wetland Conservation Area in Burscough – we loved it.
- Bent Garden & Home – this originally was a garden centre, but today it’s much more than that. It has everything several shops and departments, not to mention a gorgeous restaurant and patisserie!
- Delamere Forest – this is a large forest in Cheshire which has visitors centre, Go Ape and lots of well marked routes of different lengths. If you want to somewhere to go that will only cost you the parking, then this is your place. There is a cafe, but we tend to take packed lunch, as the cafe is ALWAYS heaving.
- The Lake District – It’s impossible to break this down into individual posts as there is far too much to lost, I’ll maybe to a separate post on this, but South Lakes are only 90 minutes from our house and it’s perfect for a day out or a short break.
- Cheshire Oaks – this is another shopping one, but a great place to go for shopping, cinema & eating out. It gets busy though, so I would pick your time.
- Pennington Flash – You might be spotting a theme here, but M and & like going for a walk and so Pennington Flash is another convenient place for us to go for a stoll. There are a series of paths, woodlands and a canal to walk alongside and a golf course and decent parking makes a great,low cost day out.
- Haigh Hall – this is a country park in Wigan, which up until the last year or so, was a hugh park with a mediocre cafe and playground. But in 2017, it’s had massive redevelopment and it has high ropes, shops, 2 x huge cafes, crazy golf and loads more. Well worth a visit.
- Knutsford / Tatton Park – This is a tiny cheshire town and huge country estate next to it. Tatton is an amazing country estate and Knutsford is a cute village where you can shop and eat. Tatton is worth a walk around as the gardens are glorious.
There are so many more I could add, but these are my favourite. I would love to hear any days out that you have loved, leave me a comment or get in touch here.