So if you have been keeping up with my Getting Healthy Series, you will know that I am about 1 month into a Weight loss programme and I am down 11.5 lbs down. There are many reasons why other people lose weight and over the last couple of days I have considered what led me to start and most importantly, take it seriously. I know that some other people have what Oprah might call an “A ha” moment which is a single event which is their own personal rock bottom and leads them onto a trail of success.
Mine is more progressive and I am sure I will read this post back every time I feel like falling off the wagon. But I thought I would make a list of a few of the times I felt humiliated because of my weight or size.
- I sat on a “directors chair” to have face paint done in December 2015 and the chair collapsed.
- On the plane to Portugal in September 2016, the seatbelt only just fit me.
- I was refused life insurance because of my BMI. They sent me a vague letter and a kid in a call centre told me when I called up.
- I had to swap a chair at the WI meeting because my bum wouldn’t comfortably fit into it.
- Similar thing happened at a golf club event I went to in Widnes where I had to sit sideways all night.
- Similar thing happens regularly at the cinema sometimes if the seats are moulded – my bum is just too big.
- I can never get a pretty coat to fit me, without spending a month’s wages.
- I have similarly tried to get an “all weather” or waterproof coat quite a few times, without success. Everything is always too small for me.
- I worked an event where I might need Wellies, but I had to pretend I didn’t need them, as I just KNEW they wouldn’t fit my large calves.
All of these things have happened in the last couple of years and I cringe every time I think of any of them. So as you can see, it’s not just one thing for me, it’s SO many!
I am only a month into my regime but I am really trying hard to make some healthy choices. Today for me is 9th June and exactly 1 calendar month since I joined Weight Watchers & the old me would have ordered a Dominos tonight as neither M or I could initially be bothered as we were too tired. It was the General Election yesterday and we were both up late last night and super early this morning to see the results.
But instead, M went to physio at 5:30 and I decided to cobble together a “whatever is in the fridge tea” We ended up with a sort of veggie/chicken rice surprise and it was lovely. I can’t stress really how much of that is a change for me, it’s really massive.
I’ve just gotta keep going, one day at a time.