I turned 44 in June, so I am not sure if that qualifies as “mid-forties” but I am certainly past 40, they are all just numbers, so who cares? BUT…. it’s very true for me that I care so much less than I did what other think about me, I worry more what I think about myself. As long as I feel good about what I’m doing, then I trust my own judgement.
So I thought I would put together a list of things that have occured to me in the last few years… can you relate?
- I might be 44 physically, but in my head I am somewhere in my late 20s.
- At a certain point in life, there is one 2 o’clock in the day. If I am seeing 2am, I am either poorly or worrying.
- I can ask any woman my own age for painkillers and she will fish at least one option out of her cavernous bag.
- And before you ask, I don’t all carry tweezers (every couple of months someone at works has some sort of tiny emergency and asks all the women if they have some 👀)
- I will crane my neck to have a good nosy in someone’s house when I walk past if their lights are on and the curtains are open.
- For a while – I became obsessed with Rightmove.
- I started a job recently, where my colleagues’ average age was 27 – which was the same number of years I had been working.
- I always grab every opportunity to go for a wee when I am out – like some sort of incontinent weirdo.
- I still think of 1990 was about 10 years ago.
- Some people in my life will always been slightly unhappy, and I will just have to deal with that.
- Some people will also not listen to any advice and do their own thing, no matter what. And that’s ok.
- I am pretty awesome, even on the days when I tell myself I’m not.
- It’s important to be kind to people – you really do never know what someone is going through.
- You don’t need permission.
- Swim in your own lane.
- Social media is all a lie – a highlight reel.
- Love is real.